Child Care WAGE$® of Kansas
Child Care WAGE$® provides education-based salary supplements to child care providers/early education staff working with children between the ages of 0-5 who meet salary guidelines. The project is designed to provide young children more stable relationships with better educated teachers by rewarding teacher education and continuity of care.
Child Care Aware® of Kansas is the agency in Kansas that is licensed through Child Care Services of Association in Chapel Hill North Carolina to administer the WAGE$ supplements.
- To improve the quality of early childhood care and education in child care centers and family child care programs
- To decrease the turnover rate of child care providers/early education staff
- To increase compensation of child care providers/early education staff without increasing costs to parents
- To increase the educational level of staff providing child care
- To maintain marketplace competition for better salaries
- To integrate and build upon other education and compensation initiatives
Salary supplements are awarded based on the level of education attained and after verification of employment following a six month commitment period. Child care providers/early education staff meeting the following criteria are eligible to apply for a salary supplement.
- Work a minimum of 10 hours per week with children ages 0-5 in a licensed child care program
- Make a wage of less than $14.45 per hour
- Must have some formal child care credential or education beyond high school
- Must work in an eligible or participating county
To see if WAGE$ is available in your area and for additional information contact:
Kris Nicholson, Quality Initiatives Manager, (785) 823-3343 or by email.